Why Cork Flooring?
Cork is a uniquely expressive floor made up of natural materials that comes with the added benefits of insulating against both temperature and noise. It is fashionable and fits any decor, yet insulates against sound, noise and temperature change. Cork, as a natural product, warms and enriches any interior. It always blends in well with other decorations and furniture and comes in a wide range of colours, from its familiar honey tones to green, red, chocolate and black.
Cork is the ultimate green flooring material
- Cork flooring is environmentally friendly as only the bark is peeled without destroying the tree, and it grows back within nine years, ready to be harvested again.
- Whether in a child's room, family room, music room, kitchen, or bathroom, a cork floor is always the correct choice.
- It is tough, resilient and water resistant. In fact the millions of air pockets give it the resilience that cork can take the beating of hammers without getting damaged.
- If cork ever gets dented, it has the natural ability to bounce back (98 per cent) to its original shape.
- Cork absorbs sound and provides acoustical excellence. Being highly abrasion resistant, these floors are often also used in public buildings including schools, hospitals, restaurants, hotels, shops, and offices
Cork is one product that can take the beating of high traffic with very little maintenance. Follow these easy maintenance tips and spend years enjoying your cork floor with its original finish:
- Dry dust or vacuum regularly to remove loose soil and fine dust particles that can scratch the finish of Cork floors.
- Wipe up spills quickly with a cloth or sponge. Clean as required with maintenance products recommended by the manufacturer.
- Damp mop with a mild hardwood floor cleaner.
- Never use wet mops, highly acidic or alkaline cleaners, non-recommended commercial cleaners or polishes, or a treated mop that has been used to clean other floors or furniture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to consider humidity when having cork flooring installed?
A. The recommended humidity range for installing cork flooring is 40 per cent to 60 per cent.
Do I have to consider temperature when installing cork flooring?
A. You should install your cork flooring at room temperature: 60 to 70 F (15 to 20 C).
How flat should my sub-floor be?
A. Your sub-floor should be flat to 3/16” over 10’ (5mm over three metres). The experts and Decor Floors can help you prepare your sub-floor.
Will there be colour and shade variation in my cork flooring?
A. Since cork is a natural product, there will some colour and shade variation; that’s part of the beauty. Your Decor Floors installation professional will maximize the difference for a beautiful finished product.
Can cork flooring be installed in the bathroom?
A. Yes: you can install cork flooring in the bathroom.
Should the toilet be removed prior to installation of my cork flooring?
A. Yes: to get the best fit and look you must remove the toilet.
Does cork flooring need an underlay?
A. Some cork flooring comes with an underlay. Your installer will advise you if you need additional underlays?
Can cork floor be installed over an existing finished floor?
A. Yes: cork flooring can be installed over most existing ceramic, hardwood, laminate, vinyl, Lino, rubber, plywood, or cork floor; glue-down or nail-down, sound, dry, flat. If you install cork flooring over concrete, you must use 6 mil poly underlay.
What about radiant heat?
A. Cork flooring can be installed over radiant heat.
How do I repair my cork flooring?
A. For minor repairs, touch-up kits are available. Ask the professionals at Decor Floors for larger repairs.